The Woman in the Window

Search This Blog

Monday 19 January 2009

My Girl Jessie



Recently, the RSPCA appear to have declared war on owners who dress their pets up or anthropomorphise them in any way. I do agree that the sight of Paris Hilton wearing her dog as an accessory is tasteless and worrying. All animals should be allowed to exhibit their natural behaviour which is difficult if you're kept in a shoulder bag. Dogs are dogs. They need a hunt every a day and an owner who understands them. But there are far worse things than dressing your dog up as Peter Pan or Beyoncé. In China dogs are killed in the most painful and protracted way for their fur and meat. Tesco would have us eat petit foie gras and the treatment of battery chickens is heart breaking. So I think the RSPCA could be shooting themselves in the foot by seemingly targeting a large section of pet owners who love and treat their dogs well - but put them in pink coats with clips in their hair.

So, this is my girl Jessie in her pink woolly leggings. Despite being only four she has arthritis in her joints - the result of neglect by her previous owners. My vet suggested leggings and rather than boring black I found these which suit her dippy tart nature.

The Factory Cat

Just submitted a short story to Your Cat. Not getting excited at all because they seem to publish most excellent work by known writers. Very enjoyable to write though. I'll post a few lines when I get my rejection letter. By the way, does anybody know - if your story is 1784 words do you state this or do you round it off to 1700? And - don't go just yet - have you read Nicci French's Losing You? The best thing I've read for ages. So exciting and chilling. And,and...how do I lose the green eyes? They were red, corrected them with red eye remover but now they're green and Jessie has the most lovely amber eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment