The Woman in the Window

Search This Blog

Sunday 29 June 2008

Feeling Tense

I've got my report back from Real Writers. If you haven't tried them I can't recommend them highly enough: www.real-writers.com
Following their editorial advice, I am strongly considering giving my three protagonists, who were originally all written in the first person present, different tenses. This would really help to give each women a different voice. The one I feel most empathy with, Lucy, a scatty mother of three - I have two children but often the pirate counts as another - so I will probably go for her being in first person present. Mel, the airforce wife, might be in first person past and Cassie, an ex-traveller, in the third person. So, I could write the whole book in three different ways which will keep me very quiet for a while.
Actually I have a fourth option which would be to give up and write a novel with one protagonist in the third person. This would be the most sensible one.

Oh, pass me a gin.

No comments:

Post a Comment